Visual communication is effective only when it is aligned with the way people see and think. The course provides insights on the importance of data visualization, fundamental principles, as well as means to increase non-verbal communication skills through effective visualizations.
This course will help you improve communication within your company, through visual displays of quantitative data. You will learn, through practical applications, how to communicate visually in an effective way and how to increase reporting efficiency, leading to a better understanding of the presented data, and thus, to smarter and quicker strategic decisions.
Some of the main aspects addressed by the “Certified Data Visualization Professional” course are the need for a more rigorous approach to creating visual representations of vast information, techniques of standardization and tailored data visualization tools.
The overall objective of this training is to:
• Understand the fundamentals of creating and designing a visual representation for your intended users;
• Select the right communication channel in accordance with the target audience;
• Learn how to collect and design standardized data inputs and outputs;
• Apply the design techniques required to create an effective visual representation
• Discover key steps in improving your organizational and departmental visual communication
Key Business Benefits:
There are many benefits that can be derived from this course that will justify the investment to attend or roll out the course. These benefits are the following:
• Successfully work with challenging data sets by using visual representations to analyze your data in an accessible manner
• Have a clear overall image of your company by creating specific data visualization tools tailored to your organization’s needs and reality
• Gain a competitive edge by identifying and acting faster on emerging trends due to balanced data based-decisions.
• Receive relevant guidance for developing visual representations in order to discover, understand and communicate information
• Create better and more relevant reports by understanding the fundamental concepts in data visualization
• Offer intelligible data sets to decision-making parties through creating excellent graphical representations
• Improve your performance in presenting data and enhance viewer experience by acknowledging the importance of communication through visual representation
This part of the learning experience is meant to ensure a smooth transition to the face to face training. Participants are required to take the following steps:
• Needs assessment – complete a questionnaire to determine a tailored and relevant learning experience;
• Pre-course evaluation quiz – take a short quiz to establish your current level of knowledge;
• Guidance and schedule – analyze a document presenting guidelines on how to maximize your learning experience;
• Forum introduction – share an introduction message to present yourself to the other course participants;
• Expectations – share your expectations regarding the training course;
• Color test – access an online color test to determine your color perception
• Pre-requisite reading – check several materials in advance, in order to get an overview of the discipline and to gain a more holistic view upon the subject
Who Should Attend:
- Professionals from different fields, such as finance, human resources, production, logistics, information technology, and design, interested in visual communication methods
- Executives or Operational Managers, regardless of their field of expertise
- For experts in creating visual representations and communicating information in a visual manner, such as Data Analysts, Graphic Designers, Marketing Specialists or any specialist in performance reporting
Program Outline/Course Overview
During the three days of face-to-face training, the course is designed to facilitate experiential learning and ensure a high level of interactivity. Activities used to enhance the development of competencies range from the simple application of theoretical concepts to the analysis of enriched visuals and tailored representations.
The learning experience consists of:
• Applying concepts in practical exercises
• Analyzing case studies and identifying solutions
• Using templates to develop performance measurement tools
• Sharing experiences and best practices
• Constantly evaluating knowledge, through short quizzes to support the certification exam.
Introduction into the world of data visualization
Topic 1: Data visualization parameters
Topic 2: Content administration
Topic 3: Channel selection
The SFERA model – Part I
Topic 4: Structure
Topic 5: Format
Topic 6: Express
Topic 7: Report
The SFERA model – Part II
Topic 8: Reporting numbers
Topic 9: Reporting text
Topic 10: Assess
Topic 10: Review and Certification Exam
The learning process is not finalized when the core-course ends. Participants are required to take the following steps:
• Forum discussions – initiate a discussion on the forum and contribute in a discussion opened by another participant
• Action plan – create a plan for the actions and initiatives you intend to implement after the training course
• In-house presentation – create and submit a short PowerPoint presentation to share the knowledge acquired within the training course with your colleagues
• Additional reading – go through a series of resources to expand your content-related knowledge
• “Data visualization” webinar – watch a webinar to gain insights on the importance of data visualization, fundamental principles and how to increase non-verbal communication skills through effective visualizations
• “Reporting and decision making” webinar – watch a webinar on best practices in terms of reporting on KPIs results, which highlights the importance of making decisions based on feedback provided by the performance measurement system
• Learning journal: reflect upon your 3 stages of the learning experience and complete a journal.
The certification process is finalized only when you complete all 3 stages of the learning experience. Nonetheless, you will receive a:
1. Certificate of Attendance: after participating at the 3 days of on-site training course
2. Certified Performance Management Professional diploma: after you have successfully completed all of the 3 stages of the learning experience.
We strongly recommend that you obtain the Certified Data Visualization Professional title, as this endorses your skills and knowledge related to this field.
This course outline is the property of The KPI Institute.
GCSS Inc., is using this to run the program in the Philippines.